Don’t Neglect Your Mental Health as You Age
When many people think about aging and what they can do to stay healthy, they often think about physical health. But mental health is equally as important. Did you know that over 20 percent of adults aged 60 and over experience mental or neurological disorders, such as depression, anxiety, substance abuse and depression?
As you focus on staying physically healthy, make sure you’re taking appropriate measures to stay mentally healthy, too. Your mind is an important part of your body that deserves special care, no matter your age.
Your Senior Mental Health Tip List
- Stay active. We know, you’ve heard this tip a thousand times. But the good news is physical activity helps your health in multiple areas, including your mental health, so following this tip will be beneficial in many ways. Exercising releases feel-good chemicals in the brain called endorphins, so it can improve your mood and reduce stress and anxiety. You don’t have to do a major workout to mark this tip off your list. Just opt for a long walk around the neighborhood or a quick bicycle ride with friends — anything to keep you moving.
- Make time for friends and family. One of the benefits of living in a senior living community is the opportunity for socialization. Being isolated from others can have a tremendous impact on your mental health, so try to meet new people through events and activities you’re interested in. Make plans with existing friends and family like lunch dates, phone calls or even chatting on social media. Being social can work wonders for mental health.
- Challenge yourself often. Living in Life Plan Community means you can do whatever you want, day in and day out. However, that doesn’t mean you should let your brain off the hook. It’s important to keep your brain challenged to maintain and improve your cognition. Strive to learn something new every so often, like a new card game, a new musical instrument or new trivia. It’s a great way to keep your mind sharp as you age.
- Make a difference and find your purpose. You can find true happiness by giving back to others in some way or feeling a sense of purpose from your day-to-day life. The values and traditions at Springpoint ensure every resident has a voice and a purpose — they all contribute to the success of the community by driving the activity choices and regular programming. You’ll find your true sense of purpose doing things for — and with — the community while building lasting relationships with your neighbors and caring staff.
- Reduce your stress and anxiety. One of the most important benefits offered by a Life Plan Community is the peace of mind. No more daily chores and home maintenance tasks to worry about. No more thinking you don’t have enough time to do what you want to do and see who you want to see. Live life on your own terms, spending quality time with family and friends, and doing what’s most meaningful to you. Leave the rest to us.
Live An Engaging Lifestyle at Springpoint
The LivWell program, available at Springpoint’s Life Plan Communities, focuses on whole-person wellness – including mental health. Our entire staff undergoes specialized training and works hand-in-hand with residents to develop programming that empowers them to enjoy an engaging, stimulating lifestyle.
Contact us today for more information.