Summer Skin Care
A Guide to Summer Skin Care
Take advantage of warmer days by enjoying your time in the summer sun – but make sure you’re prepared by properly caring for your skin. Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and it’s important to ensure your health by taking steps to protect it from damage. At Springpoint, we’ve put together a list of ways to take care of your skin, as well as a few opportunities to enjoy the sun’s rays at our senior living communities.
Skin Care Tips for Summer
1. Apply and reapply sunscreen. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends a sunscreen with broad-spectrum of at least an SPF 30 or higher to be applied at least 15 minutes before going outside. Apply enough sunscreen to cover all exposed skin, including your lips, which can be protected by a lip balm. Reapply every two hours, or after swimming or sweating.
2. Read your medication labels. Some medications amplify the sun’s effects or may even have a reaction with the sun’s UVA radiation that can damage cell membranes. Be sure to check the label of your prescriptions and read any warnings it may have against prolonged exposure to the sunlight. Common medications included in this group are cardiovascular, diabetic and antibiotic medications.
3. Don’t forget to hydrate. Hydration is key to a healthy body. Especially when out in the hot sun, it’s crucial to make sure your body is getting the water it needs to function properly. And, if you do happen to get a sunburn, hydrating can help you heal faster.
4. Be mindful of your exposure to sunlight. If you’re spending multiple hours in the sun, be sure to give your body a break by relaxing in the shade. Find an umbrella, covered porch or other sort of shelter for some time off from the rays, especially during peak hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Also, wearing a wide-brimmed hat, sun-protective clothing and sunglasses can help limit your skin’s exposure to sunlight.
Enjoy (Safe) Fun in the Sun at Springpoint’s Communities
At Springpoint’s communities, we offer both indoor and outdoor amenities for you to enjoy. Here are some of the unique outdoor offerings at each of our eight full-service Life Plan communities – just remember to use that sunscreen before enjoying each one!
- The Atrium at Navesink Harbor offers private pontoon boat cruises, where you can enjoy time with neighbors taking in spectacular views over the water.
- Sit on our patio at Crestwood Manor with friends overlooking our charming campus.
- The campus of Meadow Lakes is located on a stunning, 103-acre, accredited arboretum.
- Monroe Village encourages residents to stay active outdoors by including a shuffleboard court, a community garden and more.
- The Moorings at Lewes offers a seaside retirement lifestyle, where a trip to the beach is only a short ride from campus.
- Improve your golfing technique at The Oaks at Denville putting green – perfect for you to practice before visiting nearby Mt. Freedom Golf.
- Stonebridge at Montgomery is nestled on beautiful grounds featuring plenty of green space and walking trails for you to enjoy an afternoon stroll.
- Delight in the landscaping at Winchester Gardens, designed by the Olmstead Brothers, sons of the famed landscape artist responsible for Central Park.
Contact us today to learn more and schedule a tour at one of our communities.