September is Healthy Aging Month! This is an annual observance focused on the positive aspects of growing older and to spread awareness and inspiration on how to be healthy. Although it’s always important to live a healthy lifestyle, this month was a perfect opportunity to reevaluate lifestyle choices and find ways to improve on wellness. At Springpoint, we’ve pulled together a few of our favorite tips we’ve learned.
Healthy Aging Tips
- Stay Active: Finding an exercise routine that fits your schedule is a must at any age. Along with this time set aside to movement, there are also simple ways to incorporate activity into your daily life, like taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Benefits of an active lifestyle include healthy weight management, lower blood pressure, a reduced risk of depression, stronger bones and so much more.
- Get Enough Sleep: Contrary to popular belief, seniors don’t need less sleep than the average person – in fact, all adults need about seven-to-nine hours a night. Catching those Zs results in health benefits such as an enhanced immune system, improved heart function and boosts your memory.
- Be Mindful of Your Diet: Although it’s not necessary to give up sweets and carb-heavy foods completely, being mindful of your indulgences and focusing on a balanced diet is beneficial to your health. Find a balanced meal plan that works for you, focusing on fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, low-fat dairy and whole grains.
- Promote Mental Health: Positive mental health influences your outlook on life, impacts how you behave and allows you to better cope when stress inevitably creeps into your day. Caring for your mental health can also prevent the onset or relapse of a physical or mental illness, which is especially important to keep in consideration as we age.
- Maintain Relationships: Staying social and maintaining friendships benefits both our mental and physical wellbeing. Consistent social interactions can help keep you stimulated, mentally sharp and intellectually engaged. Plus, connecting with others may reduce stress, improve cardiovascular health and strengthen your immune system, which can make it easier to fight off sicknesses like the flu.
Experience Our Healthy Aging Program at Springpoint
With Springpoint, you have access to healthy aging activities daily. LivWell is a holistic wellness program offered at each of our communities. Focusing on whole-body health, this program allows you to improve on each of the seven dimensions of wellness: physical, intellectual, emotional, social, environmental, spiritual and vocational.
Residents are encouraged to take advantage of the program by actively participating in activities that support and strengthen each of the seven dimensions. From structured fitness classes to healthy dining and social activities, there’s always something to do to help you age gracefully and be as healthy as you can be.
Contact us today to learn more and schedule a tour at one of our continuing care retirement communities.